Tuesday 7th & Wednesday 8th February 2017

Interesting article found in Irish Times :    Causes of obesity:

• Obesity occurs when there is an imbalance between energy intake (food) and energy
output (activity).

• The overwhelming influences of obesity in 99% of the population are environmental
and include marketing, advertising, increasing portion sizes, accessibility and
availability of foods and facilities, increased automation and increased car use among
other factors. There is a Strong Link to heart disease

Obesity contributes to high blood pressure, abnormal blood fat levels (affecting LDL and
HDL cholesterol and triglycerides), increased blood-clotting tendency and raised blood
insulin levels and type 2 diabetes.

The forecast puts Irish men at the top of an “overweight” table of 53 countries, matched only by Uzbekistan. In terms of obesity alone, the estimates show a big jump for women in Ireland, soaring from 23% to 57%. The proportion of obese Irish men was expected to increase from 26% to 48% while the figure for those either overweight or obese rising from 74% to 89%. FRIGHTENING FACTS!!!! Be happy you are changing your diet and lifestyle habits now..